Thursday, December 22, 2005

Medical School

*breath*

I use to want to be a doctor. Everything I did revolved around my dream. I volunteered, I worked in hospitals, I joined clubs, organizations, EVERYTHING so that my resume come college graduation was AMAZING. I graduated at 20 with a chemistry degree... I took a year off to live... I changed my mind.

I decided that being a doctor was too political. That I couldn't handle the pressure, that it wasn't what I had imagined. I thought of the horrible things I'd seen working in hospitals, how people weren't grateful anymore, how I couldn't take it if it was MY fault someone died.

I decided to be safe, declining my acceptance into one of America's top 10 medical schools without telling anyone and decided to be a laywer.

I took my LSATS, did rather well, and was SUPPOSED to be working on my law school applications - as we speak. Till my friend calls me:

"Guess what"
"what?"
"You're going to be surprised"
"WHAT?"
"I applied to this medical school in the caribbean and got in, I think I'm going."
"WHAT YOU HAVN'T EVEN TAKEN YOUR MCAT?!"
"You don't need your MCAT, me D and F all got accepted, I'm going to start attending January"
"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"

And then all my longing for science returned. I was jealous. Not only that but I KNEW I could go. That I could've gone, that I was a lost cause.

So I got the name of the school, realizing they have rolling admission until the 30th, and I've decided to apply.

I need 2 recommendations on their letter head. I e mailed an old chem professor of mine and will probably ask my boss for the other. I need my official transcript but was assured by my friend that you can just FAX it to them and mail them the official later. I need to fill out an application, then complete an interview over the phone - all of these things I've gone through... but tell me.

Why all of a sudden do I want this now?

Why am I applying to a school that is not only not worth my merit, but kinda excited about it?

Why didn't I just do this a year and a half ago?

Why?!

1 comment:

PinkBunny said...

Hey Nic,

I'm glad you decided to go back to medicine. You put so much work into it, it would've been a waste. I think that you just lost the passion for it earlier. And now that you can have friends doing it with you, it wouldn't be so "Work". Plus, the carribean!!!

I'm kind of backwards (but not really?) from you, so I really like reading about you going for school. I want to keep learning, but everyone else in my life thinks I should just start working.

So, keep your passion!