Friday, January 12, 2007

The final round

I'm back on the island, with only three and a half months until I'm finished. I came with two friends in tow - which has made the transition easier. I'm having fun. I'm enjoying the island, and thankfully nothing scary has happened while my friends have been here. I have realized that I've begun to think of this place as home. I was more comfortable driving here than in america, my room was nice and set up when I came back, and yes, I missed the beach (which I ran to right after registration and drove in) - brrr.

Home was nice, I guess I should update.

My best friend B found a boyfriend, who totally creeps me out. He's a local teacher who another friend of mine heard slept with one of his 18 year old students a year or so ago. But I was sworn not to say anything, so I sit there seeing her falling in love and get skeeved out when I think of the gossip (which may be false btw). She started picking him over us, which hurt. She brought him out everywhere with her, including my birthday dinner - which she dipped out of asap so she could spend the rest of the night with him. That kinda stung - but I was still in anti-emotion antigua mode and thought it bothered me I didn't understand it till about a week later when she kept bringing him along to everything.

Note to women, don't do this. Your friends want to see you, not you making out with your new man every 2 seconds. GAG.

New years came in with a bang. I got my new years kiss from a very attractive man who I found out later is in the navy (ACK!) and 21 (double ACK!). He keeps trying to keep in touch... I still find him attractive, but I need to get away from this military thing dammit. He WAS a good cuddler though... *sigh*

I hooked up with 2 people while at home, and by hooked up I mean kissed and cuddled with. One was hottie navy boy, the other was this israeli guy who not only barely spoke english, but was astounded when he found out I was persian and was actually giving him the time of day. The net day I came upon an article concerning israel planning on bombing iran - i didn't return his phone calls, haha.

The israeli had a really hot accent, and was your basic tall and skinny. The navy boy had a body made of rock, I made him do push ups with me on his back and challenged him to a sock race. (you know, where you wear socks, run real fast, and see who slides the furthest)


I shopped (FINALLY) bought new clothes, jeans, etc. Played with my doggie (who is even more of a little shit) and cried a lot when I had to leave him. I didn't get to see a lot of people or do a lot of things - my first days back were odd. I was... off. Unemotional. I can't really explain it.

It's like I didn't care about anything. Friends came to see me, tried to take me out to do things and I... just didn't care. Like with the B situation - I was sitting in the car on the way back from the bar the night of my birthday thinking... I should care about this. She's ditching me for him, why don't I?

I guess in antigua I built some pretty tough walls. With my girls being here my classmates are seeing another non bitchy side of me. Atleast 10 people have commented on it - telling me I seem happier.

I guess I am. I needed home.

God bless the USA.

4 comments:

Caro said...

i always get into these funky moods when i try to think about what "home" is and how the place where i grew up may not be that anymore. i've found it useful to just say that everything's home, and will only elaborate when asked.

welcome back!

(did you see how g lost the bet!?)

Hero to the Masses said...

Welcome back I'd been checking, and am excited to finally see you've returned to the internet.

Going back to New York for me is always a mixed bag. On one hand I love it, as I always have and it is the city that I grew up in. On the other, it feels like it not really mine anymore and can get really cold and lonely at times.

Granted, I don't have sailors or Israelis to hook up with, so that may effect it too.

Welcome home.

Nic said...

I think home is a mood. You grow up somewhere are get accustomed to the atmosphere. People who grew up in NYC are more comfortable in the city, same with the suburbs, country, etc. I came back with people I was comfortable with. Now antigua isn't so bad. Home is a feeling I guess... comfort if you will.

p.s. WHAT BET?!
p.p.s. Is it bad that I cringe when I think of the men I met back home?

PinkBunny said...

Hi! Sorry I've been MIA over the holidays.

Yeah.. WHAT bet with G? And where IS G?

I totally understand what you mean with a best friend getting a boyfriend. My sister actually did that to me, and I had to have a talk with her. I felt constantly grossed out by how touchy they got, even though they weren't doing anything inappropriate. I hope I don't become like that one day.