Monday, January 22, 2007

94 days

I went to the hospital today, to witness my first autopsy. It's horrible how detached I am from viewing a person as a person once they're opened up. It's also horrible how cool I thought the man looked all fresh vs. the cadavers we initially learned from. Ok ok sorry, let me back up.

47 year old man, sudden death, no history of illness, chronic alcohol abuse, unkempt appearance, drug use suspected. He was found face first in his living room by his niece holding his morning "spirit."

A family witness and police officer sat across from the pathologist who asked them each a series of questions like: how did you find him, any froth around his lips, any vomit noticed, does he have a history of disease, etc.

After questioning they took them into the room to identify the body. The rasta man's niece was surprisingly calm, identifying him and leaving with the rest of the family.

Then they cut off his clothes. I know it's horrible but I looked... the man had a MASSIVE penis. I tried not to stare, I swear. HUGE.

They went through the autopsy while another pathologist grilled us with questions. The I kept getting distracted by the autopsy... I wanted to cut. Is that weird?

She kept showing us body parts and I was giddy. I loved the heart the most, it was beautiful. The muscles and papillary fibers were perfect, a reminder of how fragile we really are. His lungs were horrible. Probably due to smoking and the such. Signs of emphysema were present... what a waste of an amazing organ. I saw his brain, more fluid than our "fixed" brains in anatomy. She cut into it and I saw the grey and white matter, I saw the adrenals, kidney, liver looking like they were covered with gloss... god I'm going crazy thinking about it.

I asked them if I could just come back and sit there while they cut and study - she laughed and said it would be fine. I don't know when I'll be able to do it, I have lab's in the morning when they do these, but dammit if I'm not going to try.

Too bad foreign medical grads have a slim to nothing chance of going into cardiology. That heart was amazing... *breathe*

5 comments:

PinkBunny said...

It's really great how much you love what you do.

Hero to the Masses said...

So what is it that foreign medical grads go on to do?

Caro said...

i act like i could see that stuff in real life (and not on TLC), but i have a feeling i'd faint. or something along those lines.

why don't foreign grads have a good chance of making it in cardiology? has it always been that way?

PinkBunny said...

I used to be a Buffy fan, so seeing a body would probably freak me out. I wouldn't believe the body's not going to get up and be undead.

Seriously though, I'd faint. I don't know how you medical people handle it.

Nic said...

we go on to fight like hell for normal residencies...

I think I'm going to try to transfer out. The whole hospital in affiliation with John Hopkin's is like a miracle. One person is all you need. Show them my shelf scores, and see if it opens any doors.