Saturday, December 30, 2006

Saddam is dead

Do not click this link if you don't want to see a dead body

I just watched Saddam die.

Prior to clicking the link I didn't think it would affect me as much as it did. I mean, I've seen dead bodies before. Hell I've practically skinned them and played with their insides - all in the quest of becoming a doctor. I've looked into lifeless eyes and dissected the nerves that use to make them work.

I thought I wouldn't care. Here was a man who killed his own people. A man who was not a good man, someone who I believed deserved to die. I believe in the death sentence. If you can kill, you should be aware that you can be killed.

So I clicked the link.

I watched him muttering prayers to himself.

I saw them slip the noose around his neck.

And then he dropped.

He dropped and I saw him hanging there lifeless, with his eyes staring at the ceiling, and I got the worst feeling in my stomach. Not much can be said about witnessing a death. Something going from alive and thinking to dead and... hanging

I didn't like it.

3 comments:

Galactichero said...

Rejoice not in the death of the foe, but in victory over him. There is no victory in Iraq, over Hussein, at least not in the foreseeable future. Death is death, and the bringing of death to another is the same, bad man or good. It would have been better to make him finish his spate of trials and then rot in jail, or at least wait to face his accusers before he died.

Hero to the Masses said...

This simply means you're human. No one likes seeing death. Simply because you deal with it on a daily basis, doesn't mean it's okay.

Lance said...

I waver on the capital punishment thing. I tend to fall on the side of the prisoner but then again I've never had someone gas my family with serin either. I felt no sense of relieve or victory in the hanging of this man. I felt no justice. I just went on opening presents and drinking champagne. More and more the lines between good and bad men are blurred. Now there is only those in the good or bad graces of those with power. I'm a little hallowed out by it all.