Friday, December 15, 2006

You are so beautiful

Tonight I said goodbye to my fourth semesters. They've been here for what seems like eternity, and tonight... was their last night. I straightened my hair (unheard of in this humidity) and dressed up - yes I know, very unlike me. Back home no one knows my hair is curly. I maintained. Here it's a big deal, I apparently look very different.

One person who always mentioned this was TB. In the old house, the power was 220V. European standard I guess. Here in the new house, we're at a good ol' american 110V. This means I can use a blow dryer. Needless to say TB has only seen me in curly. He's always wanted to see straight. He loved my hair - always played with it when he wasn't supposed to.

*General rule* Curly hair does not = running fingers through hair. Then you end up with a troll.

I come back home and he's on skype. It's 4:30 his time - mr. TB is up late studying. We get to talking, and I tell him I went out. He calls and I have the video set up.

Now during this whole ordeal my roomie and pseudo are running around trying to pack up pseudo's stuff. She's a fourth semester... she's leaving me too :(.

The second the video kicks in and there's a silence of about a minute. The internet on the island isn't always very reliable so I keep saying hello - to make sure he's there. The roomie is running around trying to figure out where pseudo's stuff is, and they're arguing about what she's going to leave here and take with here. She's seriously leaving us about 300 dollars worth of stuff. Then I hear a: "You look really nice."

Damn him, he saw me blush.

Since the break up we havn't really discussed... us. I havn't told him how much I miss him - wait no, I did - kinda. I've been thinking "dammit, why the hell am I attached to someone when he and I are both too busy?" I've been repressing...

So I laughed his comment off, and asked him if he's going to get the highest grade on his exams again (he's so freakin smart, a scholarship to one of the most competitive top ranked universities in EUROPE, AND he's getting the highest marks - god that's so hot). Again another silence:

"Sometimes I really miss you -- but only a little bit"

*insert scrambling roomie and pseudo in the background*
At this very moment roomie pops up behind me: "HI TB!"

DOH!

There went my moment. I take out my headphones and he talks to her a second - at which time I tell him I need to get back to studying.

I copped out, I KNOW... I can't seem to deal with this nonesense! UGH!

So I'm waiting for him to close his video tab - and... nothing. He just leaves it on... I decide to go on my merry little way studying -- knowing he's watching me.

about 20 minutes later he tells me he's going to bed. I say goodnight - and again there's silence.

he types to me "You are so beautiful" via skype vs. saying it and signs off before I can reply.

For some freakin reason - that really hit me.

It hit me because he acknowledged how I wanted him to feel, and for some reason convinced myself he wasn't feeling it. It hit me because he DOESN'T express himself like that, or put himself in a situation where he can be burned... EVER. It hit me because I couldn't respond. It hit me because I had my chance to spill my guts and missed it. AND DAMMIT IT HIT ME BECAUSE I MISS HIM AND I CAN'T EVER HAVE HIM!

Damn him! :( Germany is still too far away...

I need to be over this

4 comments:

Lance said...

Oh man. That sucks. That sucks really bad. But on the hair thing. Straight vs. Curly... I don't have the foggiest idea of what you look like with either. But for me, normally there is no contest. Curly hair wins every time. Have a good holiday.

Hero to the Masses said...

I too had a crappy day. Though mine was today and I think yours was yesterday...but no matter. You should pour yourself a stiff drink. It won't help. As a matter of fact, it's objectively probably not a good idea. But it will all be okay, and though you don't want to hear it, it will all work itself out. But I made a nice strong Captain and Coke for you and me this evening.

Nic said...

I will be having many vodka induced mixed drinks... tomorrow... on the way home - right before seeing the famil--- ok not a good idea.

Tomorrow night :), while out with the girls. I'll have one for you (but only because the lack of drinking on this island has made me a light weight)

p.s. I never fully appreciated my dark curly hair until I got onto this island... Now I think I just might prefer the curls to the straightened. We'll see.

Caro said...

you wrote that really well, nic. felt like i was there...

damn him for being so far away. or you. or the world.

yeah, damn the world.