Saturday, February 03, 2007

81 days

Yesterday I gave my first abdominal exam.

*breathe*

AAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

:)

Because we're not allowed to touch patients yet, our ICM professors pay patients with chronic (long term) illnesses come in and have us practice on them. I took my first history on a woman who had suffered from breast cancer. She was sweet, and I scared her senseless telling her to make sure she checked herself monthly because the lump can come back. They're very patient with us, and tend to know more about the process than we do.

"What is your present complaint?"
"You're supposed to tell me your name first"
"Hello, my name is Nic, what brings you here to see us today?"
"You're supposed to ask my name next."

highly annoying... because later we'll have nurses doing that kind of stuff for us. Anyway, I've seen patients so far with Grave's disease (with their massive bulging eyeballs), breast cancer, and hydrocephali (half of her face was paralyzed). I had the pleasure of giving the girl with hydrocephali an exam.

What sucked was that she had massive abdominal (stomach) scars, and I couldn't really feel around like I was supposed to. I also got in trouble for not cutting my nails... bah.

It was awkward, but cool at the same time. She was very patient with us, but at the very same time really shy. I'm sure 12 medical students asking you a million questions and hovering over you isn't too reassuring.

Anyway - that was exciting. I also learned how to take a proper blood pressure reading. I'll never be able to figure out diastolic readings... gah! Practice makes perfect no?

...I'm going to go and attack my roommate's arm. Let's see how her BP reads :)



_*_*_*_*Later in the day*_*_*_*_
-roomie had low BP btw, I thought I was doing something wrong, damn her.



in other news:

Is it normal for a person to become so infatuated with someone she's met only once, and knows she has no future with?

navy sucks dude, I'm doomed.

Does this mean I have dependency issues? That i need male attention? WHAT GIVES!!! I AM A BITCH TO MEN DAMMIT, WHAT IS WITH ALL THIS EMOTION!!!?!?!?!

... I haven't stopped thinking about him all day. He sends me little text messages from his phone letting me know he's thinking about me.

We both agree this weird talking on the phone thing is FREAKISH but because we both admit it, it's ok. We both admit the fact that we didn't think we would see each other again after new years (I think I mentioned before that I kissed him and cuddled). We both have no idea how we became "close" in such a short time span...

EW DUDE, I DON'T LIKE THIS SHIT.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that he's no where near me, and I usually get annoyed with people who pay too much attention to me in the beginning. This is kinda like the J situation right before I left for school. It also helps that he's not totally into me from the looks aspect and due to distance has been forced to become attracted to me intellectually.

I hate guys that know nothing about and rave about how much they like me. Kiss my ass.

Regardless I still don't think it's going to go anywhere, I'm absolutely sure of it. He's young. He's going to change. AND the age thing really bothers me. I guess a year is ok, but 2.5 is kinda much. (i just killed a mosquito - little shit) Plus he's in the military, which I hate and though he is very ambitious, he hasn't finished college or started any plans for after he gets out of the military.

Why am I talking about this as if it's a possibility?

I have been semi flirting with a guy one semester above me who is currently in b'more on clinical rotations. He's not that attractive, not that tall, but he's really cool. I dunno... hot attractive navy vs. nice sweet medy.

medy is also shy. Who knows.

oh yeah, real quick - the mosquito issue is getting out of hand. I swapped at one earlier today while reading for my ICM quiz monday, and the fatass was so full of my blood (MY BLOOD) that when my hand barely hit her, her engorged belly flew down into my book and SPLAT blood all over it. I'm not kidding, the mid air impact left a star shaped blood streak on my hand AND book, and I didn't even make full contact with her. I couldn't wipe the blood off my book... I am highly annoyed... there's a big red mark in the GI hemorrhage section (how quaint).

Stupid mosquitoes... go away

1 comment:

Hero to the Masses said...

Hmm...first, congrats on the abdominal exam. I'm sure you did great. I was an EMT once upon awhile and I kept forgetting which side the appendix was on, which makes a difference when you're palpating.

As for the other thing, that's a toug one. I mean, I know me. I don't like to be alone. In general, I'm a social person and like friends and others around me. And I sleep with women, who I know, because it's nice to cuddle and it feels good to have someone's arm around you. Who wants to sleep alone?

I think no matter what you choose, just don't be so hard on yourself. It is what it is, and if you want to do something, then do it. It sounds simple I know. But as the guy who's been in therapy for many, many years, trust me on this.